C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:19:24 +0000
7bit
From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
On Sunday 11 February 2007 00:27, Kathy Salkin wrote:
> One thing I can tell you, if you are going to teach them about
> cooking on the stove, teach them caution first.  I am a good cook and
> am normally very careful when dealing with hot pans, etc,. but I
> managed to scald myself last Sunday and am now dealing with a second
> degree burn on my wrist and hand. I was attempting to drain pasta via
> the lid (which is perforated for this purpose) but I was inattentive
> and the lid fell off and the hot water and pasta poured over my
> hand.  Worse pain that I can remember in my life.  So the lessons are
> twofold:
>
> 1) Pay attention to what you are doing at all times in the kitchen, and
> 2) Lots of cool water is the best first aid for a burn.
>
> Then run to the pharmacy with the burnt hand wrapped in cold paper
> towels in freezing weather to get ointment and bandages, which leads
> me to the most important thing --
>
> HAVE A FULLY-STOCKED FIRST AID KIT IN THE HOUSE OR FLAT
>
> My best friend gave me a colander, saying I now have no excuse to get
> into hot water! ;)
>
> Kat

Hi Kat,

Every sympathy Kat. A very similar thing happened to me several years ago.

I'd cooked some cauliflower cheese and was browning the cheese sprinkles in a
casserole dish in a v. hot oven when I had a "phwaaay" moment and tossed the
whole thing down my right arm.

The doctor was very pleased that I had immediately filled the sink with cold
water and kept the whole arm in it for 20 mins.

Unfortunately, two days later, I was carrying our (then) 18 month daughter
Ceri when she "relieved herself" down the same arm. Its surprising how many
pretty colours a wound can turn in another 2 dfays.

Cheers

Deri