ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 12:21:51 -0500
Jesus--A Servant

Matthew 20:20-28

Believers like to talk about Jesus as Lord, as Master, and especially as
Savior, but rarely is He mentioned as "Jesus the Servant." Yet describing
His own
mission, Christ said, "The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to
serve, and to give His life a ransom for many" (v. 28). He entered the world
offer Himself for the Father's purpose and mankind's need.

The Cross was the ultimate sacrifice for others. Every human is born into
slavery, a captive of sin. Jesus' death paid the ransom, purchasing our
freedom
with His blood. Consider what that means: Jesus voluntarily exchanged His
glory for flesh because only as a human could He experience sin-He didn't
break
God's laws, but He allowed His purity to be violated by our transgressions.
In fact, God made Jesus "who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf" so that we
could gain freedom from our captivity (2 Corinthians 5:21).

Jesus took on Himself every bit of sin - past, present, and future -
committed by humanity. Our sinless Savior suddenly and painfully felt the
burden of
guilt, the weight of a tarnished soul, and a wretched separation from His
Father. He suffered the injustice of dying for our sin in order that God's
holiness
and our imperfection could be reconciled. Jesus was the Father's servant,
agreeing to an atonement plan that made Him a sacrifice.

Jesus is your servant as well. He humbly endured the punishment you
deserved. To receive the benefit of His sacrifice, you need only ask His
forgiveness
and receive Him into your life. Then you, too, can know the servant, Jesus,
as Savior and Lord!