ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 07:57:02 -0400
Hi Reeva,
         Just to let you know, I originate from the upper peninsula
of Michigan which is almost an appendage of Wisconsin, so I add my
welcome to Brad's as an honorary Wisconsinite.  Go pack!
         I live in Maine now, with my husband, who is a pastor in a
small church.  You'll probably be hearing more about that over time
as well since my son Chris, and our church, seem to be the  major
themes in my life at present.
         I actually have four children.  Matt, age 20, who is working
at a Christian summer camp in Michigan; Liz, my 15 year old daughter,
Caleb, my 9 year old, all round cuty, and then Chris, my 18 year old
prodigal.  Over the years, I have come to this list with a lot of my
dealings with Chris.  He just doesn't like rules, or the
establishment and has a pretty rebellious nature at present.  On his
18th birthday, this past November, Chris moved out to try to make it
on his own.  He lived in a low class hotel for a while, supporting
himself by working at McDonald's.  That was stressful so he moved in
with his girlfriend's family.  They are a study in immorality itself,
which Chris found even more stressful.  He managed to get kicked out
of there and ended up on the street and then rooming with a drug
dealer, changed jobs several times and, finally got picked up by this
community action program called, Life, which is very loose and poorly
supervised, but he has a roof over his head rent free and he gets $50
toward groceries per week.  He dropped out of school and claims that
he is near to taking his G.E.D., but I don't know if that is
true.  He claims to want to go into the military because he wants to
gain self discipline.  In truth, he's still looking for someone
bigger than him to help him behave.  One thing that he really hated
about living at home was that we made him face responsibility and
were trying to help him grow up.  He thought that we were just mean
and unreasonable.  Sometimes, from statements that he has made, I
believe he has some regrets about acting so rashly, but his heart
hasn't changed and he and we know it, so he's on his own.
         There you go, four years in a nut shell.
Kathy