THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peggy Ramsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:06:17 EDT
Once every few years I'll take prednisone with something like "Benedryl" to
stop a disabling allergy reaction.  If I take it soon enough, I can get by
with one dose and survive after that with ibuprofin.

The last time I should have had a quick dose prednisone and didn't -- I was
bitten by fire ants -- the reaction went systemic and I was very sick.  (When
I returned from the southern state and reported the event to my doctor, he
was under the mistaken impression that fire ants were big, red, and only
lived in giant mounds that could be easily avoided.)

>>Langer suggests prednisone can worsen thyroid function in those people with
hypothyroidism. Has this come up for anyone?<<

The last endo warned me against taking prednisone, saying it would make the
hypothyroid worse.  Years before that, the one time I took the entire
prednisone RX as prescribed for systemic poison ivy reaction, I felt euphoric
with the first dose of six pills (after three weeks of pain and embarrassment
-- my face was covered with the reaction), but even though the dosage was
tapered down, I was totally wiped out for a few days when I was finished.  It
seems it had negatively affected my hypothyroid condition.  After that I
found it was best for me to just take one dose (5 or 10 whatevers, probably
mcgs.) and only if absolutely necessary.

A person I knew for years had severe allergies for which she took prednisone.
 She was told that it contributed greatly to the severely brittle spine
condition which gave her great pain the last time I saw her before she died.

Others may have different experiences.   If anyone finds ways to avoid things
that cause allergic reactions in the first place (especially the unknowns
that cause surprises), or can keep the reactions to a minimum, that would
help all of us.

Peg