THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kim Irving <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:25:37 -0700
I'm new to the list and would normally wait and read posts, but the first
post I read talks about itching and "writing on the skin" and it got me
going!.

I have several goiters on the left, right and centre of my thyroid. Just had
a biopsy and waiting for results.
One thing that sent me to the doctor, besides the goiters, was an onset of
hives, intense itchiness and when I scratched, large welts would appear
across my skin (lasting 30 to 45 minutes). I've found that Benadryl controls
the itching but I'm having to take larger doses for effectiveness and I hate
how sleepy it makes me.
I've seen three doctors regarding my thyroid and all said the itchiness and
hives have nothing to do with my thyroid condition. Yet, everything I read
says otherwise. (I was also told hormones had nothing with my thyroid
condition even though I'm peri-menopausal).
But my question is - my TSH was normal but the anti-body TPO (thyroid
peroxidase?) was at 750. I believe I was told "normal" was 5 (??). I can't
seem to find any information about TPO, how to understand test results
etc... I'm still searching the archive information. (I'm in Canada, so lab
test results may differ)
Again, by the experts I've seen, I've been told by one doctor that it "means
nothing" and by another "I've seen higher results". I've also been told that
this antibody will eventually destroy my thyroid and nothing can be done to
stop it. No medication will be prescribed until my thyroid actually
dysfunctions. This doesn't sound right to me....any other experiences with
this?
Kim