Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 1995 19:00:28 +0000
From:
Malcolm Lubliner <[log in to unmask]>

After a few weeks reading this excellent material and not seeing a
reflection of my history with CD, I feel it might benefit to tell a little
of my story.
I'm a recovered compulsive over eater who has lived with CD most of my life
without knowing what was wrong with me or even thinking that I was
different than most except that my level of stress was higher and I had to
push harder to accomplish things my friends did more easily. I'd been a fat
man for more than twenty years, suffering also from sleep apnea and was a
life long snorer of signifant sound. Two years ago when I met my wife, who
reads everything and has a special interest in alternative medicine, I was
in a lot of physical, arthritis-like pain, had severe anemia and other CD
symptoms. She figured out the problem and has changed my life dramatically.
Five years ago I had surgery for snoring, an increasingly common operation
in which a portion of the soft pallet is removed along with the uvula so
that there isn't as much flesh to vibrate in the back of the throat when
one falls asleep. It didn't work then but now that I've changed my diet it
does. The point of this long message is my belief that sleep apnea is
related to CD in this way; for me at least gluten is a serious toxin that
produces an allergic reaction that kept the flesh in my throat swollen so
that I still snored and had apnea worse than ever. Also it seems clear that
what one is addicted to, one is allergic to. I once would eat a loaf of
bread at sitting and suffer through the days and nights without putting the
symptoms and causes together. Now I'm twenty five pounds lighter, sleep
soundly, don't snore and function like a human. Lastly, and then I'll get
off. For those who are not aware of sleep apnea. It's a silent killer, and
extremely dangerous condition in which its victims function on about five
percent of the sleep most people need. If it interests you, check into it.
The combination of sleep apnea and CD should be examined.