From:
John Day <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 11:18:50 -0400

Greetings All!

I really need your help. I have two serious questions as I face a trip to
the Middle East and they're not about travel safety.

I've had two bad (crippling) herpes breakouts in the past and will be in
Egypt and Jordan October 22-November 10.  My PCP, with whom I have my annual
physical tomorrow, wants to put me back on Valtrex (USP DI Valacyclovir
Systemic) and take this with me to the Middle East. Nowhere can I find the
gluten free status of Valtrex. I have really searched the web and the Guide
through the Medicine Cabinet to no avail. I know Acyclovir is gluten free
and so is Famvir, but he prefers Valtrex despite the questionable status and
thinks a little gluten would be OK, mitigated by a digestive enzyme - 1000mg
of Valtrex per day! Help, please. I've even changed from Catholic to
Episcopalian to avoid gluten in the communion wafer!

The second issue is this.  I've been on Mobic, which is gluten free, for
some time and have been ordering it from Anthem RX Direct.  I got a
three-month supply and the price was right.  Now, my last order has arrived,
but it's not "Mobic" any longer; it's Meloxicam, the generic form. Again,
I've looked and looked, but can find "Meloxicam" listed nowhere as gluten
free.  Can alnyone out there tell me if it is safe to take? I don't know
what company makes this; have never heard of it. What should I do?

I really appreciate you fellow Celiacs and hope you can help me with these
issues ASAP.  Thank you.

Kathie-Ann
Celiac in NH