ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 02:52:38 -0500
LIGHT FOR THE WAY
_________________________

Psalm 119:105-112 (NRSV)

Your word is a lamp to my feet
     and a light to my path.
I have sworn an oath and confirmed it,
     to observe your righteous ordinances.
I am severely afflicted;
     give me life, O LORD, according to your word.
Accept my offerings of praise, O LORD,
     and teach me your ordinances.
I hold my life in my hand continually,
     but I do not forget your law.
The wicked have laid a snare for me,
     but I do not stray from your precepts.
Your decrees are my heritage forever;
     they are the joy of my heart.
I incline my heart to perform your statutes
     forever, to the end.

_________________________

David said, "You are my lamp, O LORD; the LORD turns my darkness into light.
With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a
wall."
- 2 Samuel 22:29-30 (NIV)
_________________________

WHILE talking to a friend about a lawsuit I was involved in and wishing I
could see what the outcome would be, I said, "Sometimes I wish God wouldn't
use a lamp to show us our next step, but a floodlight to show us what's
coming."  Then I thought, But if God used a floodlight, we might not move
from where we are.  We might see possible danger or trouble.  Even if we
could see a final good outcome, we might be too scared to go forward.

Even Jesus Christ, who knew the outcome of the cross, didn't want to go
forward.  He asked if there were another way: "Father, if you are willing,
take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done" (Luke 22:42).
Still, he was willing to suffer so that we would be saved.

We are shown only what we need in order to take the next step; God will
reveal the rest of the journey in time.  Little by little, I see the path
God has set before me.  Each day I walk forward with what I know, trusting
God to guide me and to light the way.

Prayer:  God, guide us in your path, for the sake of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
God lights our path one step at a time.

-- Steven Gibbs (South Carolina, U.S.A.)

PRAYER FOCUS: Lawyers

RELATED READING ...

Flora Wuellner's latest book, ENTER BY THE GATE:  Jesus' 7 Guidelines When
Making Hard Choices, helps you learn how to make difficult decisions.
http://www.upperroom.org/bookstore/desc.asp?ep_id=30&item_id=202392