ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 14 May 2006 22:56:14 -0500
This is an update for Sunday which likely won't get mailed until Monday. I
went to see Andy with my youngest nephew Gary, Andy's brother. We walked
in and Gary sat down and I stood up. The first thing Andy did was stick
his leg out towards the empty chair in front of him and said "Have a
seat". That was awesome. We asked Andy some questions and before Andy
could answer, the patient on the other side of the room, an elderly man
obviously medicated, answered all our questions. I asked "Andy, did they
give you lunch yet?" and the old man answered "No, they didn't give me any
lunch yet". This happened several times and Gary said Andy looked a bit
irritated at the old man and Gary then laughed a little and then Andy did
too. He is understanding much more than we first realized. I guess the
nurses gave him some picture books to look at and to tell them what was on
the pages, stuff like a coffee cup and they'd prompt him with things like
you drink it in the morning and stuff like that,  and he told them almost
with an attitude of rolling eyeballs as if to say... "You got to be
kidding me with these tests" lol. His fiance said she brought his son in
today and he held out his arms and he held his son on his lap for a while.
He fed himself lunch while we talked with him. He is still quite small in
response but I understand they do not have him on any pain meds at this
point which is amazing. I'm sure over the counter type but no morphine or
the like in IV. He has no infection. I  am so amazed the difference
between Thursday when I saw him and now it is  so amazing.  He is still
struggling with some coordination and he will have some surgeries to go
through but I think he is going to amaze everyone with his recovery. He
only said one off thing today something about cleaning the house, other
than that he was very much in tune with what we were saying to him.
Earlier in the week he was doing the repeating and spitting thing. There
was absolutely  none of that.  I wasn't going to mention this because it
is sort of off humor but yet it shows the quickness and ability of his
thinking at this point. The  elderly roommate had  passed gas, and without
skipping a beat Andy looked at Gary and said "Gary you pig" Andy knew it
wasn't Gary but just said it as dry humor and laughed. I guess they found
his nose too is broken in a couple spots, has a fractured eye socket, his
collar bones are fractured. One side in three places, the other in two
places, a hole in his elbow of pretty good size and many bruises and road
burns and of course the fractured skull bones. His fiances's mom had him
laughing a bunch last night I guess cracking jokes to him so he is doing
so great I think. I wish I could stay more and just witness the progress
on a daily basis. I'm going to see him tomorrow, Monday, before we leave
town for home, and then in two weeks we'll be back for Memorial Day and I
can't imagine the difference he'll have made by then. Please pray for Andy
however to now begin to realize God's mercy and answer to prayer that has
spared his life and that he develops the yearning to learn more about God
and his salvation. Also too that God pave the way for me to be more
involved in my nephews and neice's  lives. I feel I've sort of abandoned
them after their dad died. I'd like to begin to have an an going
relationship with them and it is hard from a long distance, but I really
want to  be a part of their lives more.

Brad