ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:21:39 -0500
Hey, Matt

Choosing a version of the Bible is a personal thing.  You really have to
read or listen to the different versions to get a taste of them and see
which one the LORD uses to speak to you, as long as they have been
researched and translated from the original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek.
Paraphrases, like The Living Bible or The Message are good to read or hear
along with a real translation just to get a fresh view of them.  But they
aren't real translations and shouldn't be trusted as the true Word, just an
interpretation of them.  Something like sermons about the real Scriptures
but not the real Scriptures themselves.  (Although I don't go as far as
Harold Camping did and said to throw the Living Bible in the trash.  Smile.)

Having said all that, I've heard several pastors in several churches I've
attended say the New American Standard is the closest translation to the
original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek and is a good compromise between the
confusing King James and the paraphrases.

Hope something in all this has helped.  Smile.

Paul