From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 10:24:54 -0800
Sticking with the newer of the machines and Win98SE: I think the answer
lies in your next to last sentence - the LCD monitor. Win98SE likely
does not have a resident driver for an LCD monitor and is trying its
best to come up with a driver that works. If you have a utility disk for
the monitor, install the driver for Win98SE. If it does not have the
driver, you will need to visit the Sony site.

The same comment applies to the modem except that there may be other
causes such as checking that the card is firmly seated.

I hope this helps.

Tom Mayer

[log in to unmask] wrote:
> Hey Y'all!
>  In my attempt to get a rebuild going for a friend to connect to the
> internet, I have been using parts from 3 compaq computers. I aquired a new  unopened
> official win 98 SE disc and loaded it to my first build which was the  newer
> of the 3 machines (model 5bw251) which is 6 years old, with the WD 15 gig  HD
> from one of the others.
>
> The loading process went without a hitch and windows started up fine.
> However, the graphics settings only had a max of 16 colors available and the  modem
> was not found. So I transfered the HD to the next oldest machine (5bw120)  and
> did a fresh re-install of the os. Just as windows was starting, it  would
> re-boot and upon inspection I found a few capacitors had "domed" tops with  a bit
> of rust so I gave up on that one and moved HD to the oldest one (unknown
> model#). Once again after fresh install, same problems with graphics and  modem.
>
>  I went to DriverGuide.com and downloaded their hardware/driver  checker but
> when I tried to use it I got an error message saying It was either  corrupted
> during download or was the wrong "version". I pulled up compaq driver  page
> and the drivers listed for the newest machine was the same as the one  already
> loaded.
>
>  I started out computing on Win ME and went directly to XP so I'm  mostly
> unfamiliar with 98. So I ask, surely it's capable of more than 16  colors?! And
> can you give me any clues why neither machines modems could  be found even
> though in control panel/modem, it says device is working  properly? ( I was
> attempting set-up with AOL ver.4.0 which came on the 98SE  disc)
>
>  If it matters, I'm using a Sony SDM-S73 lcd monitor.
>
>  Feels like I'm fightin' a losing battle!!!
>
>    -PHIL-

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml