C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 05:52:53 -0400
Deri, as Bobby said, this assumes that the special ed teachers
actually teach mind-challenging classes.    Mine didn't until the
sixth grade, when I had a teacher who was alarmed at  how poorly we
were prepared to go out and academically compete in the real world.
So she pulled together a group of the kids in her class whose parents
were planning to send them to "regular schools" the following year,
and drilled us and challenged us to excel.  I am still grateful Mrs.
Holzer to this day for pushing us to do the work, not just baby-sit
us to the end of our elementary school terms.

The special ed attitude of the day seemed to be "the most important
thing is to get them on their feet and the rest will follow."   I
remember that kids who couldn't walked seemed to be regarded as lazy
or deemed incompetent, which of course was not the case at all.  But
by the time I left elementary school, the attitude shifted to a more
realistic view and I recall the state issuing new standards at some
point for special education.

Kat