From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:41:55 -0500
Wow, Steve and Phil!

Lordy, Lordy! Lawdy! Y'all brought back a hunka memories for me to chew on!
I first want to congratulate the both of you for hanging in so long with
ham radio! July 10 will be my forty-fifth anniversary!

As you know, I worked just about 100% CW until I got on two meters. Oh, I
played a little with AM and SSB, but they never have done much for me.

Steve, I started out as KN8DMU in 1961, and you only had one chance and one
year to upgrade. What I mean is, you could take the test once every thirty
days if you wanted to, but only one year term as a Novice Class Operator.
Your transmitter was crystal-controlled, but I theenk there were a lotta
VFO's hanging around the Novice bands back then, HI HI!

I started out with a GlobeChief Deluxe transmitter and four crystals. My
receiver was a National NC101-X. Then I got a DX-40 when I got my General
in 1962 and in 1963 got a Viking Two transmitter with a Viking 122 VFO. I
also had an HA1 keyer and a paddle made out of a hacksaw blade. If I'd have
known that paddle could have been used independently as a sideswiper key,
I'd have kept the darn thing. But in 1971, my parents got a burr up their
behinds and thought I was telling a bunch of what they called "disloyal
untruths" about the way I was treated and raised at home, so the ham
station had to be donated to The Ohio State School For The Blind. I managed
to keep my old Vibroplex bug, but that was all.

In 1977,  got a job for a little over a year and saved up enough for a
TenTec Triton Four and an MFJ Deluxe iambic keyer. Man, did I love that
setup! Had to buy the CW filters extra, though, darn it!

After John and I got married, he surprised me with a TenTec Omni C
transceiver and power supply, both of which were stolen in the move from
Illinois to Wisconsin.

The rest is history. No outside antennas allowed in this Section Eight
building, but I brought a few treasured keys that John, my late husband,
got for me.

Ham radio seems like a beautiful dream to me now. I am unable to work any
CW, and two meters just ain't got it for me. I'm too old-school and too set
in my ways to change much.

I will always remember hamming fondly because I met my beloved on 40 CW.

73 and 88,
Reeva Parry,
AMATEUR RADIO CALL SIGN:  K8DMU FOR FORTY-FIVE YEARS!!!!

No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.1.385 / Virus Database: 268.4.5/322 - Release Date: 4/22/06