Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 07:32:12 -0400
---- Original Message -----
From: Dianne Erdos-Rush <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, October 3, 2005 9:26 am
Subject: [PCBUILD] PARTITIONS

> Hi,
> Got an older computer to play with, and hopefully make usefull for
> someone who cannot afford to get themselves one.
> It appears to be running a Linux system although I am unsure.
> I booted it with a boot disk and I was given the message "Windows
> 98 has detected that Drive C does not contain a valid FAT or FAT32
> partition." How do I partition it?
> Then I attempted to Format it, and got "Format not supported on
> drive C:".
> Then Scan Disk tells me that all is ok with the A: drive.
> When I asked for a display of Partition Info, I got the following
> information, which doesnt look familiar to me:
> "Current Fixed Drive 1
> 1.  Type: Non-Dos   MBytes: 102  2% usage
> 2.  Type: Non-Dos   MBytes 3757  91%
> 3.  Type: Non-Dos   MBytes 259   6%"
> Look familiar to anyone?  What step should I take next, there is
> nothing I care to save on the hard drive.
> Thanks in advance.
> Dianne

Hi Dianne,

You need to boot with the boot disk and then run "FDISK" from the A:\ prompt.  While in FDISK you can delete the existing partitions, and make a new partition in FAT or FAT32 format.  Don't forget to set the partition as "active" before you exit FDISK.  Then reboot and you will be able to format the drive.

Eric

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>