From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:11:50 -0400
Hi.

I appreciate where Holly is coming from as I got my license initially while
I was a freshman in college.  While such an expenditure might have been
able to be rationalized to the hilt, the simple fact is that I didn't have
that kind of money, and if I had waited until I had it, my entry to the
airwaves would have been delayed 3 to 4 years.  It doesn't seem worth
it.  The name of the game is doing the best you can with what you have, and
all of my initial gear was old well used gear, but I was on the air.

The truth of the matter is there is lots of good still usable used gear
around that will do a good job for someone who is just starting out, and
some of it can be had for not that much money.  For example, the TR7930
mentioned last night, which I wouldn't hesitate to buy if I had nothing on
2 meters and was looking for something to get on the band with.  You can
always trade up later.

I have an old Kenwood TW4000A 2 meter/70 cm 25 watt radio that is
essentially a spare right now.  It has the voice synthesizer and a PL deck
in it.  I hadn't planned to sell it, but if I did, probably getting someone
on the air for the first time would be the incentive to pry it loose from
my possession.

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK