From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 14:29:56 -0600
not sure who would say once you get the general you wouldn't even work the
other bands...but its a good idea to get 70CM capability as well as 2M.
Depending on your area and the types of repeaters used though.
If there is little to no UHF usage, then there is no point, but if there are
a few repeaters on UHF then it might be neat to use them.
Not a whole lot of 220MHZ activity unless your near a major center that is
over crowded on 2M and 70CM.
Its fun to work 6M dx on SSB and CW, and sometimes FM, but again, not very
much activity on 6M in most places...perhaps a few nets and some light
traffic on linked repeaters, but generally not a lot like on 2M.

HF isn't always active, or propigation (dx conditions) aren't always running
very hot, so when that happens its still enjoyable to use 2M and other
VHF/UHF bands for local communications.
Some folks get a little long in the tooth and refuse to use anything above
30MHZ after they get their general class, but that is unfortunate because
they are limiting their exposure to other hams who may only exist on bands
above 50MHZ.
Just cuz a person doesn't have their general doesn't mean they are suddenly
not worth talking to or that they are too dumb to get it or what ever, just
means they aren't necessarily interested in getting on HF.
Not everyone who wants to get on HF has the ability to either...financial
constraints, not enough room for antennas, or just no desire to use a less
then totally reliable method of communications.
2M and 70CM always works, all the time, for local coms...HF can be a bit
unpredictible, especially during this part of the sun spot cycle.
73
Colin, V A6BKX