From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:13:59 -0400
Hi Phil and all.

Thanks for the intersting stories.  I feel like I know you all a little
better now.

My story started back in 1973, when I was at the home of some friends of my
parents, and the man of the house cured my  typical 13 year old boredom by
bringing out a portable shortwave receiver for me to listen to while
everyone else visited in the other room, and just like that, I was hooked
for life.

In the next few months, I saved every bit of money that I could and in
April of 1974, I set out to buy my own shortwave receiver.  I had my eye on
a 4 band portable that Radio Shack sold, but my mother wisely talked me
into stopping at another radio shop across town that dealt in used
equipment, and talked me into foregoing the Radio Shack portable for a
Halicrafters S20R.  It's kind of surprising, that my mother, probably the
least technical person I could think of, managed to see the value in that
dusty old tube receiver and talked me into buying it.  I paid $42.50 for it
and ran it for 22 years!

Well, anyway, it didn't take me long to figure out that if I used the BFO,
I could turn the "Donald Duck chatter" into intelligible voices and I
started listening in on the ham bands and keeping a log of what I heard,
and as you can imagine, it didn't take me very long before I wanted to talk
back.

I took all kinds of books out of the library at school, but the one thing I
was having a really hard time with was learning the code.  It was partly
that I had just convinced myself that it was difficult, therefore it was
difficult.

In the fall of 1978, I started college at Syracuse University, and as I was
walking across the quad, having just registered for classes, I heard the
familiar sound of CW, and decided to follow my ears and see where it was
coming from.  I found a Heath SB102 on a table outside one of the
Engineering buildings cranking its little heart out, and several members of
the S.U. Amateur Radio Club were out there signing up new members for the
club and advertising the Novice Class that was being given.  I got my
Novice license on December 28, 1978, and actually got on the air with a
Heath HW16 and an HG10B VFO the following December.

I remember my first QSO very clearly.  I was then KA2DQA, and I worked
KA1DNZ.  It was on 40 meters, just as the International Broadcasters were
shifting into high gear, and five minutes into the QSO, my mother yelled up
that supper was ready.  My code was rusty, the band conditions were
terrible and I was stressed at having to rush through the QSO so I could
get downstairs.  It was a disaster.

I glared at the radio every time I walked past it for the next several days
until I received the QSL card with kind words of encouragement.  It's
probably a good thing he sent it, because I'm not sure I would have ever
gone back at it again.  But, I did, and the next time was somehow easier.

I have known lots of changes in technology, and lots of dear friends in ham
radio.  Boredom left me when I was 13 years old, and I've never known it again.

I laughed out loud when I read about the rigs with the 100 kHz calibrators,
because I remember those days.  I had one of the Radio Shack P-box kits for
a 100 kHz calibrator that ran on 3 AA batteries.

For those who are rolling their eyes at all this nostalgia, I apologize,
but only half heartedly.  After all, what is ham radio, if not to
communicate something of importance to our fellow hams.  Mostly, what I
hear being communicated is who we are and how we live, and I find richness
in the experiences of each of us.

73 to all de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK