From:
Richard Webb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 14:52:31 000

n1umj wrote:
   >if it was just detachable I wouldn't mind but when it can't be
   >attached, that's where I have a problem.  we have a radio like that
   >at the local EOC and the extra wire and all  that you can't
   >eliminate is a real mess. Just 1 more thing to break. I paid about
   >the same for my TM-271 as you did for that yaesu, I never even
   >looked at yaesu, until they make their radios accessible or at
   >least try those SB's will never see my money. -----

HE didn't have the 271's in stock at the local radio store.
Had some 261's, two of them on closeout, but that radio is
not friendly at all.  SO far I'm fairly happy with this one.
DO wish that company would get it together on speech etc.

Your problem with the detachable faceplates is the same
concern I have, one more thing to break, but for my
application it seems the 480 would be a great choice for a
mobile because of it.  I don't mind the 706, but I'd think
I"d really like it better with the Millennium qsy'er on the
back end.  I've used a friend's at field day  and he had the
speech board installed for his wife.

oNe thing that amazed me about this Yaesu was no built-in
speaker which really surprised me.  YEt I could see the
reason behind it.  Half the time on a mobile rig the speaker
is in the wrong place for your application anyway.  IF it's
on the bottom and you hump mount it the speaker's firing
directly at the floor.  IF you mount the darned thing under
the dash the speaker's blowing up into the works of the dash
and console.

SPeaking of external speakers, rat shack used to make one I
really liked, but now if you want a straight unpowered
speaker all they've got is those little wimpy tinny sounding
things.

Richard Webb,
Electric Spider Productions,
Eads Tn.