From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2006 16:37:37 -0400
Tom,

A non metal mast is great but you can get by with metal if you use standoffs
to keep the  twin lead  away from it.  Even if you only use 1 or 2 at the
top of the mast and then pull the lower portion of the twin lead away at a
slight angle.  The higher you can go, the better.

If I may ask:  If you have 300 feet of property, why limit yourself to a
G5RV?  Most of us have used one at one time or another and some  hams think
it is  the greatest thing ever, but it is  a compromise.  There are some
killer antennas that you can put up in that space.

As for the vertical: The problem with used antennas is that you never know
who did what to it in a previous life.  Adjustments made to suit a
particular installation may not work for you.  I'd be concerned about
coroded joints.  I'd  take it apart and clean all metal to metal joints and
connections and coat all  joints with penatrox or similar.  Put back
together per factory settings.

73, Steve KW3A