From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:34:38 -0500
Hi Fred and List,

Well, I'm too new a ham to recall W2oy, but the old timers in the Buffalo,
NY area sure do remember him.  I believe he lived in Lancaster, NY--a few
miles east of the city line.  He had this rant he used to use at the
beginning of each transmission that went something like this:

This is W2OY, amateur radio station, Buffalo, NY.  No lids, no kids, no
space cadets, no wb2's no expletive deleted no pigs and no JEWS.

One night I am told in 1962 and change, he got drunk and actually recited
the whole shabang--a real weird concoction of racist and vulgar diatribe
that lasted for about 5 minutes.  It so happened that a Mr. Riser from the
local office of the Buffalo, FCC (we used to have a full bureau sub station
here years ago before Ronald Reagan) heard the whole thing and actually
sited him on several counts.  Mike Premice as he was named (not sure of the
spelling) had connections, so after a small fine, he was back on the air.

He got his come-up-ance--when he was up on his tower in the early 1980's and
died of a massive heart attack.  Nobody realized it for a few days and they
actually had to scrape him off the tower...

...OR SO I'M TOLD.  But you know how these legends are; they get more
grotesque as time passes and memories fade.