From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:19:42 -0800
Hi Brian,

In terms of receivers, I believe the 746 Pro has it all over the TS-2000.  I
have not had the luxury of having them sitting side by side but at one time
went directly from one to the other.  Where the Icom seems to have it over
both the 2000 and slightly over the 480 is in the amount of noise you hear
along with the signal.  I'm not sure what measurement this would be but I
can tell you that on 160, for example, I have heard things on the 746 Pro I
never heard on the 480 and I believe the 480 receiver is better than the
2000.  In terms of listening to the audio output, once you settle on a tone
you like and the filter settings you prefer, it is easy on the ears.  AM
sound is wonderful as well as FM and SSB and CW are likewise easy to listen
to for long periods.

In terms of transmit audio, I believe the 2000 with a good wide range mic
such as the Goldline has great fidelity although I typically had to build a
high pass filter to cut some lows out of the Goldline in order not to be
overly heavy on bass.  I get real high quality out of the 746 Pro just with
the hand mic and the mic EQ and have gotten a lot of compliments on my audio
although in the monitor it doesn't seem to sound as good to me on AM and FM
as on SSB.  The hand mic is a little hot on those modes.  Heil is replacing
my Handy-Mic with another with the wide range element in it and so I will
know after this week what kind of fidelity I can get out of the Icom.  I do
not believe the fidelity out of the 480 is as good as either rig primarily
because it will only open to 2.4 kHz in terms of audio bandwidth.

I hope that helps some.  Take care and very 73.
Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX