From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:57:10 -0800
Hi Anthony,

I just bought one of these to use on the home station.  I have placed my
Kenwood TS-480 in use for portable and travel use.  The things that are not
accessible by a total on the 746 Pro are the menus for initial setup and
even those could be somewhat accessed if you took time to remember the order
or had a cheat sheet with the various possibilities of settings and then
made sure you started at the beginning of the list.  Also, some things like
RX and TX EQ settings require some sighted assistance to do them fast and
efficiently.  For the functions you mention, you would need no help at all
if you have the synthesizer installed although if you want to independently
set the mic gain, it would help to have either the P2000CW or the TW-1 to
check power output to set it correctly.

I have been a strong supporter of the 480 and will continue to be but I can
tell you without reservation that I hear things on the 746 Pro receiver that
I never heard on the 480.  If you can get one for a good price, go for it.

Take care and very 73.
Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX