C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 00:20:36 -0600
7bit
Sender:
From:
greta von der luft <[log in to unmask]>
Hello,
I am teaching a pediatrics neuro course to physical therapy students. In
order to try to make them more empathetic & understanding (or attempt to if
needed), I am in search of a reading list. Specifically, I was wondering if
you can recommend any books non fiction, biographical, or autobiographical
about children/ adults with disabilities and/or their caregivers. I am not
so much looking about books which cover MS (multiple sclerosis), ALS (lou
gherig's), CVA (stroke) but instead health conditions that are found in
children and in adults like CP, MD (muscular dystrophy), SMA (spinal
muscular atrophy), TBI (traumatic brain injury) etc. The parental aspect of
caring/advocating for a child with a disability would be welcomed as well.
So the story could be told from the viewpoint of the individual with a
disability or his/her caregiver.

Let me assure you that adults with CP will be considered, because children
with CP do become adults with CP. The reason why I am steering away from MS,
ALS, CVA is because it is a pediatrics course and they already had an adult
neuro course.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Please and Thank you,

Greta