C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 12:24:30 +0000
7bit
From:
Aren't you her legal guardian?  I know she's 18 and all, but if you are her
main means of support - i.e., can claim her as a dependent on your income tax
form - then you might have some parental rights.  But I'm not an attorney so
obviously I don't know much about family law.

You do have issues here, all right.  You need to get her to a doctor ASAP and
get her treated but as Susan said, it's very difficult to get anorexics and
bulimics to realise they need help.

A little personal background here - way back in the 1980s I was so stressed
out, I practically stopped eating.  I lost over 20 pounds and was gettng
close to being underweight when my dad looked at  me one day and said I was
too thin. (this coming from a man who was always trying to lose weight
himself!)  But I resisted going to a counsellor until the day I picked up the
phone and took a call from an irate customer who reduced me to tears in
seconds.  All of a sudden, I thought, is this worth dying for? And I went to
the local public mental health clinic as I'd no medical insurance and went
through two years of counselling.  Now, I wasn't truely anorexic because I
did eat but my counsellor told me later I could have easily beome one.

So there you go - my near-anorexic experience.   There are far better ways to
lose weight and deal with stress, believe me!

Kat