From:
Mary DeLacluyse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary DeLacluyse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2006 07:50:41 -0700

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I truly appreciate it. It sounds like there are several gf-friendly chain restaurants in the area and some non-chain restaurants as well, mostly near Albany. I will post a review of the restaurants we try out after the trip.  Here are the recommendations:

Albany
1. Several recommendations for the Outback in Albany.
2. Several recommendations for http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/
3. Several recommendations for food to pack just in case
4. Real Seafood Co. on Wolf Road (near airport)
5. Olive Garden on Wolf Road near Colonie Center Mall (exit 2 off of I 87)
6. Kirker's in Latham(?) just north of Albany off of route 87, I think, exit 7.  They actually have a separate gluten-free menu because of a local support group. The food is excellent.
7. Carrabba's Italian Grill off I-87 in Latham, just north of Albany
8. www.highlandsrestaurant.com-near Albany We had a retirement dinner there yesterday and it was great (see separate posting about this restaurant for more details).

Near West Point
9. In the West Point area, you might want to visit Amarone's Italian Cuisine, located at 62 Wood Road, Sugar Loaf NY 10981,  845-469-4405.  They buy products from a dedicated gluten-free bakery in nearby Chester, stock gluten-free pasta and take care to avoid cross-contamination in the kitchen.  I also visited them on Memorial Day weekend, and they were willing to adapt almost anything on the menu for me.
10. There is a Restaurant, Restaurant X, in Congers, NY a little south of
West Point that will do gluten free meals. 845-268-6555 www.xaviars.com

And here is a listing of stores in the Albany area:
Capital Region, NY Gluten Free Food Shopping

      Basic Foods
      Route 50, Glenville, NY
      518-399-2742

      Brunswick Naturals
      830 Hoosick Rd., Troy, NY
      518-279-3663

      Dean's Natural Foods
      Westgate Shopping Center, Albany, NY
      518-489-5723

      Delmar Health Hut
      282 Delaware Ave., Delmar, NY
      518-439-7775

      Earthly Delights Natural Foods
      162 Jay St., Schenectady, NY
      518-372-7580

      Four Seasons Natural Foods Store & Caf=E9
      33 Phila St., Saratoga, NY
      518-584-4678

      Green Grocer
      1505 Route 9 Clifton Park=20