From:
Christine Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 13:09:20 EDT

Early last fall, my (biopsy diagnosed) son was complaining of being unable to
swallow and some stomach problems but said he was following the diet.  The
primary care physician took him seriously since this was how he presented with
celiac in the first place.  She sent him to a gastro for an endoscopy. The
whole thing was rushed because my son's insurance was about to run out since he
wasn't attending college anymore.  So there was no time for my son's records to
be sent to the gastro.
   The whole thing was a total disaster.  They could not get even the
pediatric scope down my son's throat so no endoscopy.  Then the gastro told my son,
in my hearing, that the throat swelling was due to allergies so he doubted that
my son had celiac at all!  "Mother Nature is more economical than that," he
said.  "She doesn't do things twice when once will do."  This without ever
doing the endoscopy and with no review of my son's medical history.
   My son has been protesting the diet ever since.  Would any of you consider
this a valid second opinion?
   I don't want to pay for this endoscopy.  I am so mad at this man.  He has
since retired.
  My son still has doubts. (No one else in the family does--the change in the
kid after diagnosis was incredible.)  What can be done to resolve them?
                      Christine Duncan