From:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 15:00:46 -0500

I am looking for information on treating osteoporosis, both from the scientific
literature and  from anecdotal evidence.

I am a nearly 43 year old female with body wide osteoporosis.  We are
working on the assumption that the osteoporosis has been caused by 42
years of undiagnosed CD, 10 years of heavy corticosteroid use, 6 months of
Synaral for endometriosis and now early menopause.  I also have the other
risk factors, fair and small boned (though tall)

the usual suspects for treatment are contraindicated in my case:
-  HRT because I have Avascular Necrosis with an underlying blood clotting
disorder. Any and all hormonal therapies are totally contraindicated for me
-  weight bearing exercise for the next two years at least is not allowed
because of the necrosis in my hips, knees and shoulders
-  I refuse to touch bisphosphonates as they have been implicated in
avascular necrosis and my review of the literature leaves me very sceptical
about them anyway.

I am under the care of a doctor in Beijing for my necrosis and he says that the
traditional Chinese meds will help the osteoporosis but he suggests I look
into further therapies.

I am going to have another biopsy done in February but it is looking very
much as if the villi damage is not yet healed. I have been taking glutatione
and a probiotic three times a day since I was diagnosed with CD.

I also take EFA's, Ca and Mg daily.  I would welcome information on the best
forms of Ca to take.

Many thanks
Sherene