From:
"Kevin J. McMahon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 1995 16:40:00 EST

Donna,

There is a really good paper, by Lisa Lewis (one of the list owners)
that talks a great deal about gluten and casein and the possible effects
of these on developmental delays.  (You will probably get a note from one
of the listowners on how to access the archives; and most if not all of
the paper is in there).  My son just turned 4 and is also 'mildly
autistic' (my words).  The doctors call it PDDNOS (Pervasive Development
Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified) or MSDD (Multi-System Developmental
Disorder); he doesn't talk very much yet, so we don't know if he has had
an stomach pain.  The paper talks about the possible toxic effects of
gluten (protein in wheat and other related grains) and casein (protein
in milk).  My son has reacted quite well on a gluten and casein free
diet.  See Bette Hagmans "Gluten Free Gourmet" or "More From the Gluten
Free Gourmet".  We found both of these at our local library (based on the
very kind suggestions of the members of this list) and have had such
good success with both of them that we went and bought our own copies.

One of the things you might find (based on reading Lisa's paper) when
you stop giving your son gluten and casein products is that he may get
worse for a period of time.  (If I understand Lisa's paper correctly this
is actually a drug-type withdrawal).  We noticed this with our son.  He
has always been a very pleasant and happy kid.  For about 2 months he
would have almost daily tantrums, bang his head a lot (which he did a
little before, but it was more noticable) and bite people when he was
frustrated.  Now (about 4 months GF/CF) his tantrums are much more
infrequent, he doesn't bang his head much anymore and I can't remember
the last time he bit anybody.

Kevin J. McMahon