From:
Jennifer Peltier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 1995 07:01:46 PDT

From: [log in to unmask] (Jay Mann)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.food-science
Subject: Re: Food Additives
Date: 13 Jun 1995 01:36:51 GMT

(some content cut to save space)

The usual recommendation is 2/3 insoluble fiber, 1/3 soluble fiber for
human nutrition.  But food labels don't distinguish between soluble and
insoluble, unfortunately.  Just remember, oat bran is better than
wheat bran, in terms of soluble fiber.   Also note that viscosity
(thickness) of glucan and pentosan solutions is exponentially related
to concentration: half the concentration can mean only 5% as much
viscosity.  So if viscosity is the key, don't crib on your fiber intake.

Jay D Mann  <[log in to unmask]>
Christchurch, New Zealand

I read this post with much interest.   Can someone please clarify for
me if oat bran and wheat bran are safe for celiacs?  I have had
definite reactions to oat bran in the past and avoid it.  Can someone
also mention good alternatives?  Right now I use psyllium and ground
flax.  Anything else?

Thanks,

Jennifer