Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 05:43:56 -0500

I would like to share my experience at JAVELINA CANTINA in north
Scottsdale, AZ. A group of us planned to eat there on a Sunday and (as
I always do) that day I called the manager and went over ALL
gluten-free issues.  She verified with the chef that the fajitas and
gaucamole would be fine but to avoid the chips.  When we arrived I
introduced myself and reminded her about our conversation.  She said to
discuss it with the waiter and that she would be on top of it.  I
explained to the waiter no gluten, no flour, and no products made from
flour like soy sauce or teriyaki.  2 of us ordered the veg./fish fajita
combo (mine with no tortillas) and I verified that the fish was plain.
The restaurant was not crowded as we had come early, and the waiter was
very attentive.
The food looked wonderful, but had a brownish sauce on the vegetables -
which the waiter said was the juice from stir-frying the onions and
vegs. As I tasted it I thought it was "too good" and called the waiter
over. He rechecked and told me that the sauce was teriyaki.  I had him
get the bottle and it was Kikkomen - second ingredient wheat!  When I
pointed that out he said the chef said wheat wasn't flour.  We called
the manager over and politely explained why I could not eat my meal and
that she needed to educate her kitchen staff. Her comment was that "I
had not been explicit enough".  Short of cooking the food myself, I am
not sure what else I could have done!  There was no apology, no offer
to remake my food, no bill reduction and alot of rudeness from her.
The next day I called the owner - who also owns Shugrues -and he said
he was aware of the problem and that "I was one of those people who
order a bottle of wine, drink half, and say that I don't like it".  I
explained that I ate about 3 bites and the point was to have his staff
understand food issues.  He could not have cared less about what celiac
disease is, rudely said he'd look into it and get back to me, and hung
up.  That was over 3 weeks ago.
Now I am on a campaign to boycott both of his restaurants.  With so
many wonderful places to eat in the Scottsdale area, no one needs to
patronize a place run in this manner.  Please pass this on.