From:
raymond rynehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 00:38:03 +1100
if a rear case fan is fitted i would have the air removed from rear blowing out of case, the same way the power supply does, as with the cpu fan speed it is a 3 wire lead yes? and pluged into cpu socket correct not into the case fan socket? with the psu fan speed theres no monitor lead in the atx power lead so theres no way to know the speed, look in your mobo bios and adj the shut down temp for your cpu, speed reduction for intel cpu are with the centrino chip for mobile computers not desk top systems, best start would be to lower your inside case temp to as close to the outside temp 21 or less some people like there homes hotter (wont help), also has the heatsink have thermal paste? make sure its a very thin layer, also lapping the bottom of heatsink with wet and dry paper on a sheet off glass will give better contact with cpu...

raymond

> Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 02:15:16 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [PCBUILD] WEIRD PROBLEM
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Hi all,
>
> system consists of
>
> ASUS P4GE-MX motherboard/ P4 2.4Ghz cpu / intel cpu heat sink (fan model =
> A38001-001 DC 12V---0.21AMP)
>
> WEIRD:
>
> (1)"Motherboard monitor" (which utility i downloaded after reading in the=
>  list)
>
> (2)ASUS PROBE 22306 (utility which monitors temp/fanspeed and came with m=
> obo cd)
>
> (3)system BIOS PHOENIX
>
> all THREE show a case temp. of 34/35*C/ CPU temp a whopping 85/87C /CPU f=
> an RPM "zero"!!! and power supply fan RPM also "zero"
>
> all the readings with the mobo/hdd/powersupply OUT ON A WORKBENCH and not=
>  inside the case!!!!(nothing except background apps. running)
>
> really weird because i can see the CPU fan spinning fast and the noise is=
>  just somewhat less than that of a chopper! and the power supply fan also=
>  is spinning.
>
> from intel site and also general reading i understand that p4's are unlik=
> ely to get fried because of excessive heat and that they slow themselves =
> down if heat increases the threshold limit but no one seems to know what =
> the "threshold limit" is.
>
> there is no case fan because the system does not have any graphic/or othe=
> r cards and in fact all 3 pci slots are vacant. the system is not used fo=
> r any gaming or scientific calculations (CPU INTENSIVE)
>
> if a case fan is to be fitted... air blowing IN OR EXHAUST.?
>
> anyway i am greatly concerned and shall appreciate all input.
>
>               The NOSPIN Group is now offering Free PC Tech
>                      support at our newest website:

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml