From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2006 11:42:19 -0800
A few thoughts:

Go to control panel/system/hardware/device manager and see if there is a
yellow exclamation point for the 'sound' (or some component in sound).
The driver could have become corrupted. If so, right clicking on the
item and uninstall. When you restart Windows, the driver will be
reinstalled.

Also, you might check to make sure the cable from the CD player to the
onboard audio or to the audio card has not come loose.

Right click on the speaker in the task tray and open the volume control.
Check to make sure your sound volume is not set on mute. Also check that
the sound control panel has the CD volume setting  at almost the highest
level.

 I hope this helps.

Tom Mayer

Dean Kukral wrote:
> I assume that "still nothing" means that you are not getting any sound at
> all.
>
> In order to use the on-board sound, it has to be enabled in cmos.  If you
> have been getting sound, and it stopped, then, perhaps, the cmos setting
> has changed.  This could happen if the battery is low.  (Batteries go
> bad after about three years.  You did not describe your hardware, so it
> is impossible to ascertain the battery's age.)
>
> You can check the cmos settings at the start-up by hitting the appropriate
> key, perhaps DEL or ESC.  It usually tells you.
>
> HTH
>
> Dean Kukral

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads