Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2006 14:41:02 -0800
> I have refurbished a number of nearly identical Dell Optiplex GX1's,
> some with Win ME, some with XP.  With ME, the whole computer shuts down
> when I shut it down.  With XP, Win XP shuts down and the hard drive
> turns off, but the power supply stays on.  Same set up on all computers.
>
> There is no Advanced Power Management choice in set up.  Why do the OSs
> act differently?
I don't know about having a choice in setup.

I have XP Home and the settings for the "Shut down" and "power supply" are located by right clicking on empty spot on desktop, clicking on "properties", and clicking on the "Screen Saver" tab. At the bottom of the display is a section with "Monitor Power". click on that. It will put up a display that gives you several Tabs. On the "Power Schemes" TAB there are settings for the monitor. I have all three choices to "Never".
On the "Advanced" TAB, I have the "When you hit the power button"...set to "turn off computer. The "When you hit the sleep button"...set to "Standby"
On the "Hibernation" TAB, I have "hibernation" unchecked.
When I tell the computer to "Shut Down" (from Start menu), it turns the whole machine off. I do have to manually turn off at the monitor's power button or it just goes to a black screen with "no signal"...message.
HTH
Darlene Burgess

The FREE service that prevents junk email http://www.mailshell.com

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads