From:
Paul Hachmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:59:43 -0400
Have you checked Gateway's website?  They have a memory upgrade
page based on your machine serial number.  Physical configuration
of memory keeps changing, the number of 'pins' or contacts has
increased from 32 on old '286' era pc's to 184 and more today.
You can't squeeze a 184 pin chip into a 72 pin slot.
My guess is that your pc uses PC64 or PC100  72 pin memory.
Generally, older computers required memory to be installed in
pairs - so you could use 4  128 mb chips or 2  256 mb chips,
depending on the number of slots in the pc.  You could also mix
and match if you have enough slots - 4  64 mb, plus 2  128 mb, if
you have 6 slots.  Generally, a single 512mb would not work.

 > marcel Woodruff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am updating a Gateway 2000 with a G6-266M Tower and a windows 98 operating system to windows XP. In order to do it I have to add more Ram, I know that SDR ram can not be used on new computers, but can DDr ram be used on old computers.
> If i buy a 512mb stick of ddr ram for this gateway will it work?

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com