BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"T. Gale" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that Ruth calls "Pluto's spider-hole."
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2006 11:26:29 -0400
I think we are talking apples and oranges here because the professional
(and I certainly don't want to defend that term because I already
alluded to the issue of credible certification) I'm talking about using
is advertised as a home inspector.  Their process is usually completed
with a few hours work.  People hire them to do a pre-purchase inspection
or sometimes to discover issues before selling a house.

Just to reaffirm my prior personal knowledge, I went online before
sending my original message to confirm the "several hundred dollars"
estimate was valid and I was able to find several places that listed
fees under $500.  I suggested it as a quick answer to the question of
the current condition of the building as Ruth didn't seem to have a good
handle on what her group might be taking on.  It would certainly not be
the only professional (and the only costs) involved in the process of
reviving the building but should afford a quick assessment.  Having
known a very qualified (even overly qualified), creditable inspection
team I know that there are good people out there.

I suspect Ralph's cases involve situations where a foolish inspector
represented more than he could actually deliver and/or a client who
didn't understand the limitations of an inspection report.  If you want
to know if your flue is vented properly or the polarity and grounding in
your building is correct, the roof's condition, if the building leaks,
if pest infestations are a problem, if there is radon present or
possible plumbing issues, which I think Ruth was concerned with, then I
think it is a good way to go.  Certainly for structural issues and
planning any other projects, someone else is required.  Could anyone do
what a home inspector does?  Perhaps if you were knowledgeable in the
many aspects of building systems but for most people, building
inspectors serve a function.

Now when you get to Historic Structures Reports or Preservation Plans,
we are talking much higher costs, more like $10,000-$30,000 and up.
Even to prepare a National Register Listing will probably cost several
thousand dollars.  When you get into the actual preservation of the
building, costs can typically go over $100,000.  That's why I mentioned
the availability (in some areas at least) of preservation grants.   For
a small, local organization, those costs are hard to come by without
assistance but local groups here have done quite well over the years
getting State, County and Local grants, probably well in excess of a
million dollars.

Sorry to have complicated the request for advice.  This is not meant to
be an advertisement for home inspectors, neither I nor any member of my
family works as a home inspector and I have no affiliations with home
inspectors (in fact the team I knew has since moved to North Carolina
and I no contact information for them).  For what it is worth, Covered
Bridge Home Inspections LLC in Troy, Vermont (I know that it is farther
away than Albany but is just an example) represents that he is a
National Trust for Historic Preservation member (I assume that means he
has some interest in historic buildings but may just be a means to snag
more clients) as well as a Better Business Bureau member.  Again , no
ad, just something I found on the web.  Check references before hiring
anyone!

Good luck with whatever you do,
T. G.