BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"T. Gale" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that Ruth calls "Pluto's spider-hole."
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:46:20 -0400
Ruth,

The construction you describe is not unusual.  I believe the inner
bricks are probably cruder and softer than the exterior brick and serve
as both a structure for the interior wall system and insulation (as it
were, fuel used to be cheap).

There are indeed private building inspectors that will work up a report
on the building's condition.  Many people use their services when buying
real estate.  While many are not necessarily familiar with historic
buildings local inspectors may have some experience with buildings of a
similar era.

To go backwards a bit, is the building listed on the State and National
Register of Historic Places either individually or as contributing
within a district?  Is there a local historic district and/or a local
Historic Preservation Commission (HPC)?  The reason I ask is that, at
least where I live, there is considerably more money available for
listed buildings.  In fact, through grants, many local groups have been
able to fund detailed building studies and develop "Preservation Plans"
with the help of an historic building architect to guide the appropriate
stabilization/preservation/restoration of historic local buildings.  You
may get more specific advice and recommendations from your State
Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) and your local HPC.
The only problem is that with grants, the projects can take a
considerately long time to complete.  If the building is not listed, it
might be a beneficial effort to make but again can take a considerably
long time (for example, we are still waiting for official recognition of
a local historic district whose report was contracted for nearly four
years ago and whose designation was discussed many more years prior).

Maintenance and stabilization are key to having a building to work on in
the future.  A few (relative) dollars spent maintaining the building
envelope can help keep major repair costs down farther (or is it
further, what's the difference?) into the future.

Can't help with the deed question but I wonder what the point of
including stipulations in a deed is if they can easily be removed,
especially by someone other that the original party.

Again using local experience as an example, there seems to be a limit to
resources, i. e. people and money, that a community can supply so that
separate organizations tend to compete with each other.  There may be an
advantage to merging the groups as long as there are not profound legal
or personnel problems involved.

Good luck,
Tom Gale