BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that Ruth calls "Pluto's spider-hole."
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2006 10:34:02 -0200
Brian Robinson wrote:

Brian,

I thank you for the IPTW 2006 support.

> I have always wished that we could add one additional day to the
> conference so that there would be less overlap of programming.

It is a constant issue in the IPTW matrix that though demonstrations are
weighted to occur twice that there is so much going on that nobody can
attend to more than a fraction. Though rather than our having a focus on
the content of the demonstrations we have always considered that the
demonstrations are a catalyst for discussion and it is why the matrix
includes large blocks of non-scheduled time. To extend the duration of
the IPTW in order to accomodate delivery of more demonstrations is not
relevant to any particular goals of the community. What we want is a
whole lot of people talking and exchanging information and mainly
getting to know each other.

> It is hard enough to dig up the $2000+/- it currently takes to attend
> the meeting with air fare, hotel, registration, workshops, and social
> events.

This is for sure and as Mr. Davidson commented to me for a tradesperson
to shell out these bucks they had better be getting a return otherwise
their mate and kiddies will want to know why they are not going to Coney
Island this year.

> APT is considering adding a young professional/student track for paper
> presentations.

I support this initiative. As per the above comments on a goal of
encouraging free flow of information one of the objectives of IPTW is
for the community to educate itself which in turn means even for adults,
as well as students, to learn to stand up and speak. One of the early
objectives was that the trades who tend to be silent would learn to
speak out their thoughts in a climate of peers and that it would make it
easier with their having practice to speak up on project teams. This
objective is actually working out fairly well. Yes, youth is encouraged
to speak out. PTN has expended a great deal of energy over the last few
years, with assistance of the World Monuments Fund, towards a focus on
traditional trades education. Very little of this effort has focused on
the educational needs of young design professionals. I am not so sure
that the process needs to be improved.

> As for personal agendas of the presenters, it is very difficult to
> tell where a presentation is going based on the abstract submitted by
> the presenter.

PTN has this problem as well. Essentially the correction occurs through
peer group pressure. Sometimes it can be messy.

Again, the focus w/ PTN is not on the quality of the information. The
event is not designed to provide a product with an objective of quality
of information. It is a focus on the process of exchange of information
and the building of community. We not only encourage youth to
participate we are in fact creating a children's track.

This year in NOLA the focus is slightly altered from in past years for
an IPTW in that there is no registration fee, though folks are
encouraged to contribute, and that attendees are encouraged to
participate in working groups that will focus on the needs of
individually pre-selected properties in partnership with the Holy Cross
Neighborhood Association. This is an event that is not only focused on
community but will include an element of actually interfacing with
historic fabric.

][<en

PTN Mission: “*To empower traditional building trades through network,
good works, community, fellowship and education.*”

Vision:

Network: The essential element of the Preservation Trades Network is
NETWORK. Why should we network? Because it empowers us in our lives, it
reinforces and builds upon our individual talents and our personal
values. It manifests through our ability and willingness to connect and
share openly with others that takes us beyond our individual selves.
Though membership is an important element of a healthy community, a
network goes the next step and the next steps onward beyond the
immediate community. To network is to continually reach out to other
people and to new territory beyond ourselves.

Good Works: We intend through the practice of our combined trades to
leave something of value behind us in the built environment, but more
importantly we intend to honor values of traditional trade practice in
our lives, in our teaching of others, and through our good works. Though
we intend to do good work in our individual professions, the effect of
good works is that as a community we provide something of value to
enhance and celebrate the human condition within the cultural heritage
of the built environment.

Community: We do not build and rebuild alone. We build with friends
regardless if they be from any walk of life, any country, trade or
profession. We share and bond in our experience of working together and
with our coming together to build and rebuild we build community. We
share of ourselves within community and live fully through our sense of
service to our community.

Fellowship: We strive to know each other within our particular trade
interest, but more importantly to know and to recognize each other
across the interests of many variations of traditional trade practice,
personal interests and diversity of professions.

Education: We want to teach others and we ourselves want to learn from
each other and from others.