BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:01:23 -0800
Out here, in BC Canada Forestry Land where the softwood lumber so dreaded
and so unfairly taxed by the US Government originates, we use preselected
"Datum Trees" throughout the Province for comparison, working with the
sample tree as close as possible to the site of the source of the log or
timber to be dated.   Samples from those "Datum Trees" become shared markers
for the profession.   The skill is in discerning and accommodating the
natural variations that creep into the ring forms of living samples,
sometimes clouding or confusing but rarely totally preventing an analysis.
A project for a dendrochronologist working here at the moment is the study
of growth patterns and incidence of forest fires over time compared with
climate changes over time.

In the rain forest on the coast, they are blessed with those big trees that
are well over a thousand years old, and many museums have slabs with labels
pinned on showing when Charlemagne ruled or Columbus pissed in the ocean.
I had a friend who was secretly making a very special coffee table for her
family from a large slab like that, for many weeks meticulously hand sanding
the end grain to a smooth polish before oiling it and putting the finished
table quietly in the living room as a surprise for her parents.   When her
father, a rustic logger of the old school, arrived home from work that day,
he strode into the house with his axe as usual and simply planted it in the
convenient piece of wood in the living room on his way to the kitchen.
Never noticed, she said.

God lives in the details.

cp in bc