From:
Kay White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kay White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:46:13 -0500

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.  I really appreciate it.  I have only a few people to rely on and most come from this site. So thank you all very much for everything not just this issue.
                        _____________

One person gave some interesting knowledge on bourbon that I wanted to pass on.

The consensus is that this is one dish that should be checked thoroughly.  Contamination should also be a big consideration.  However, made at home there shouldn't be a problem.
The bourbon will not be the problem...it will be in the flour, soy sauce, and teriyaki that will be the culprits.
I was told it was made with teriyaki sauce which does have wheat from most soy sauce.

Bourbon is a liquor made from corn (at least 51% by law) and other grains including wheat, barley and rye. It is distilled, thus removing the gluten, and again, by law, following distillation (and aging in oak barrels), it's essential character can not be altered (ie., nothing can be added to it after distillation). Bourbon can also be made in any state in the U.S. and this change of character is what prevents Jack Daniels from being called Bourbon (not the fact that it is made in Tennessee). Jack Daniels "charcoal filters" their whisky, which changes its character (Jack Daniels is also gluten-free, however). I feel the legal definition of Bourbon protects Celiac's from the reintroduction of gluten which can occur in other "blended" whiskys.
The actual Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms document governing Bourbon can be found at http://www.straightbourbon.com/faq.html under the heading 1. What is Bourbon?

There is more info on www.celiac.com about alcohol products.

Thanks again,
Kay White