From:
Joyce Jamerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joyce Jamerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2006 10:52:53 -0500

Friends,
Since the low oxalate diet was mentioned recently, I have a question.
Because of interstitial cystitis, I've been on a low oxalate diet for about
10 years and it is very beneficial for that problem.  I suspected celiac
some years back, but didn't actually get the proper diagnosis until 2 1/2
years ago (8 years & 10 doctors later).  I had been on a GF diet for several
years before, but had a couple of infractions that I finally found and
cleared.  I was down to 111 pounds (I'm 5'7").   I began to gain weight, and
although not perfect, felt better overall.

Many have said it takes several years and I realize that, but I seem to be
getting worse.  For a while, I seemed to be able to eat a few fruits w/o
allergic reactions.  At present, I cannot tolerate gluten, soy, corn, sugar,
dairy, eggs, potato, tomato and of course, anything high oxalate which means
no beans/sweet potato/spinach/beet, etc.   I eat apples and pears; anything
else gives me oral allergy syndrome unless it is cooked; i.e. cooked peaches
and not fresh.   My diet consists only of fresh meat, fresh veggies and
fruits.  I eat rice in very small amounts, as starches stall my digestion
and I end up losing more weight.

I've tried a cabinet full of "remedies" and at present, do not tolerate
anything herbal; homeopathic remedies make me ache, as did the last 2-3
probiotics I tried.  I supplement potassium and zinc.

To you who have the oxalate problem, is there any medication that is
helpful?  Have you ever been to a urologist for this problem, and was it
helpful?

Recently, I wanted to try using fresh juices and had several glasses of
carrot/apple.  I ended up with severe jaw pain, and over the weekend, ate a
salad with fresh carrot/apple/kiwi and had the worst bout of jaw pain I've
ever experienced.  Carrots are medium oxalate so I assume juicing delivers
too much oxalate.
Constant burning pain & fatigue from oxalate is just hard to tolerate.
Until recently, I was able to eat a few nuts, but my pain has been
increasing so I'm trying to back off.  I'm very discouraged.  My body is
extremely touchy and there is seldom a day w/o pain.  I find it extremely
difficult to give up more foods.

Suggestion?  Comments?  I'm ready to visit my internist for a checkup, but
would like some new info before I do.  I end up educating her more than she
does me.

Joyce in Alabama