THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Graciela Spivak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 09:02:30 -0800
On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Marta Martin wrote:

> Hi Graciela,
>
> I wanted to make sure I understood this (see below).....after I had my
> thyroidectomy I began having incredibly bad menstrual cycles....flu like
> symptoms and what seemed almost like hemorrhaging.  My Ob-gyn said it
> was due to an over production or over abundance of prostglandins.  I had
> done some research of my own and suggested that rather than putting me
> on the pill, I take progesterone...he gave me provera and the results
> were not good.  Are you suggesting that Progest might have better
> results for me in this instance?  If so, I am willing to mention it to
> my doctor.  Thanks.

Marta,
I don't know what connections are there between the thyroid and the sex
hormones, progesterone and estrogen, but from anecdotes I'm willing to
bet that there are plenty.
The reason I suggested Progest is that you don't need a prescription, and
many women in the menopause list are very happy with it.  Provera is a
synthetic hormone similar to but not identical to human progesterone, and
many women don't tolerate its side effects.  Natural progesterone comes
in creams or gels or in pill form, micronized, in oil to ensure that it
goes thru the liver without much processing.  You'd need a prescription
for it.  I hope this answers your question...