THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Karen Neves <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 09:46:54 -0300
On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Julie Diez wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has been on birthcontrol pills and synthyroid at
> the same time, and if they found that they needed to be on higher levels of
> the synthyroid in order for it to be effective.  (See earlier message about
> article -"Women taking Estrogen")  Any info would be much appreciated!

No, but I was told by the first doctor who did my thyroid blood tests that
BCP can affect the results -- especially for hypo patients.  It can make
the blood test results come back higher than they actually are so that you
appear either normal when you're hypo or hyper if you're normal.  I'd hate
to think what they'd do to hyper people!!!  ;-)

Karen
Halifax, NS, Canada