THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ballew Kinnaman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:52:58 -0800
Dear Polly,

Welcome to the thyroid wars. <sigh>

>I am sure this question has been asked
>before........

To find what has already been said on any topic,
try sending a message that says only

search hypo and antihistamine in Thyroid

to our dutiful robot servant at

You'll get back a summary, and then you can choose
which message numbers you want to GETPOST. Look
in section 12 of your Welcome message for details
about using our search-by-e-mail. Or, you can run
the same search from the our home page on the Web:

Thyroid Home Page
  http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html

The topic *has* been discussed before -  and several
opinions have been stated. I'm not clear that there
was a consensus or even any solid proof...but that
can easily be explained by my poor memory, too.

>I have read in nutritional books to avoid antihistamines if
>hypothyroid.

Do you happen to know the name of such a book,
please? I'm unfamiliar with this prohibition.

>Does taking antihistamines block the absorption of
>iodine?  And if it does......can anyone point me in the correct
>direction for some hard facts  I can take to my doctors
>appointment

I tried several searches at PubMed/Medline:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

but *I* didn't quickly find anything that confirms or
denies the assertion that antihistamines could
mess with iodine. Do you have any idea where
this idea came from?

If the doctor gives you some thyroid hormones
to make up for your lack (hypo), then one would
expect your depression to possibly get somewhat
better, right? Did they prescribe anything?

Keep us posted on what you find, and what you
think sounds right to *you* after you check it out,
please.

To All

It's been a long time since someone posted back
a summary to the group, and that's the traditional
thing to do on the Internet. Asking is supposed to
be followed by "giving back," if it is possible. That
way the group gives, and receives, as do the
members. <smile> If there are any questions
about how to do it, please do ask. <grin>

 Pax,
Ballew Kinnaman <[log in to unmask]> +1 425 788 5337
LISTSERV Discussion list owner: Allergy, Rubber, Thyroid

Thyroid
Discussion Group http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html