THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skippper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:31:49 -0700
From: Kathy Froese
Subject: Low T4?

My recent test thyroid test results were: TSH 2.34

Free T3: 4

Free: T4: 11.1

First, not everyone feels good within range.  The main question if do you feel normal?

Secondly, with dessicated thyroid (Armour) it's typical for your T4 to be low in proportion to your T3.    Your fT3 according to my lab ranges, is close to the top of the "normal" range.  (Again, normal doesn't matter, only how normal and functional you are.)

The T4 range you gave would be in the realm of what my labs show for total T4, not free T4.  The range given is 4.5 - 11.4.  So, it doesn't look that bad.

Your TSH is what I consider to be a bit high.  There's a couple large studies that show the median TSH of one without known thyroid problems is 1.5, and the line is skewed so most healthy subjects do not have a TSH much higher than that.  85% of the healthy population have a TSH below 2.35.

Here's a link to an informative website that talks about a TSH study that was done in Norway.  I've seen a USA site that was equally informative and had about the same numbers, but I don't have that link right now.

http://www.thyroid.org.au/Information/NormalTSH.html

Note, again labs are not always easy to interpret, and some doctors have found that people with suppressed TSH , and in some cases with high levels of T3 make them feel considerably more normal.

Skipper

> My doctor originally thought that my T4 was low and "that
> we could work on that" but she changed her mind and now
> says my results "are perfect".
>
> I take desiccated thyroid because I don't tolerate any
> synthetics.
>
> I'm interested in any suggestions.
>
> Kathy F.

------------------------------

End of THYROID Digest - 19 Oct 2005 to 25 Oct 2005 (#2005-111)

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]