THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
baron chat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:09:18 -0800
On Feb 26, 2005, at 1:01 AM, Thyroid UK wrote:

>> From:    Jennifer Day <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Re: Treatment worse than disease?
>>
>> Wow-  I guess I know nothing about this. I'm on 100 mcg of Levoxyl.

i agree with the previous poster that this is way too high for a
starting dose.  100mcg is what you might end up having to take, but a
doctor wants to avoid slam-starting his patients on the level of
thyroid meds he may THINK is the therapeutic dose they may end up on.
usually you start at 25mcg and move up every few weeks.  this greatly
reduces side effects.  this applies to all thyroid drugs, synthetic or
natural.  it would take a few months to get up to 100mcg if he was
careful and doing it the right way.  you may even need less.  it takes
a while for the drugs to take full effect, so you might essentially be
overdosed, depending on how serious your condition, but 100mcg is a
fairly significant amount and far far too much to start with.

this next bit is a peripheral comment not directly related to your
thyroid question, but i'm a little concerned your doctor's so cavalier
about your health and the amount of thyroid to start you off on.  i
don't know the circumstances or why, but if it's a while after and
you're not feeling much better, start looking for someone else with a
bit more experience and expertise treating hypothyroidism.

but in any case i wish you the best on your road to recovery.

best,
baron

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.