THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Donna Janeczko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 18:01:09 -0400
You didn't say how your physician is treating you.  Something really
worries me -- I believe the people who think they have something wrong
because they have hypothyroid symptoms -- still, a physician decided that I
needed synthroid because I had antibodies & my mother had Hashimoto's.  At
the time I was euthyroid.  They used to think that synthroid would inhibit
the autoimmune process, and he assumed I had Hashimoto's.  As time went by
I developed Graves' and hyperthyroidism, probably accelerated by the
unnecessary thyroid replacement.  This was twenty years ago.  As a result
of taking synthroid for so many years, I am getting osteoporosis and have
had spontaneous hairline fractures.  Never mind all the rest of the "stuff"
I've been through before the Graves' was properly diagnosed and treated.
Naturally, I must now take thyroid replacement because my gland has been
destroyed, so the side-effects continue.

I would really question a physician who will give thyroid replacement to
someone who is essentially euthyroid.  Those of you who think you will get
instant energy and relief from your symptoms by taking thyroid replacement
might want to think hard about it before you go out and find a physician
who will prescribe without a good reason.  Now, if the doctor has some
other way of treating your symptoms effectively, I'm sure we'd all like to
hear about it!

.  He diagnosed my hypothyroidism based on