From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 12:45:18 -0700

Hi All--

  I wasn't going to post my opinion about "House," but here I am....I'm surprised that there's not more chatter about it on this list.

  Personally, I don't think the episode did nothing for us as celiacs - we got a ton of press and that's a good thing. I thought, though, that the episode may have missed the more common symptoms that the general audience might have identified with. Every celiac is different in the symptoms they present - some are a crisis and dramatic at some point and some are so vague that it takes 40 years and much suffering to get to an accurate diagnosis. Since "House" (the show) typically deals with life-threatening illnesses with bizarre and weird symptoms, always presented as a crisis, this episode certainly fit the bill. Though it wasn't what I expected, it was true to the show's typical format. I applaud everything the national organizations do on our behalf - I applaud Fox for airing an episode on celiac disease. If it wasn't what some of us expected, that doesn't mean it was a failure. ~~Ayn in Alabama

    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.