ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:51:22 -0700
I was an assistant pastor in a town of about 800 people in western Colorado
many years ago.  The pastor was a great guy and used me in ever area of
church ministry as he could so I could learn.  I was the song leader.  This
was, at that time of my life, a traditional Baptist church.  Sunday morning,
as the pastor and I sat on a little two man pew just made for men sitting on
the platform and listened to the lady playing the piano for the offering
that was being taken up, the pastor said, "Phil, be sure and tell everyone
that Karen is singing a song after your announcements."  I said ok.  He
said, "Don't forget."  I said, "I won't."  As the piano notes died away, I
stood up and stepped to the pulpit, did the announcements, I was the youth
pastor, too, and then, after singing a final song, I sat back down on the
little pew.  As soon as I sat down, I remember what the pastor had said so I
jumped to my feet, took one fast step to the pulpit, it was right in front
of us, and did a full power body slam into the back of the pastor who had
just figured I had forgot so he would get up and announce Karen's song.  I
nearly knocked the pastor and the pulpit off the platform, or so it seemed.
Yes, it was super embarrassing and everybody thought it was funny but me.

Phil.