From:
Deborah Holladay <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Holladay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2006 23:12:26 -0500

I received a number of responses to my request for gluten free bread recipes
that did not contain corn, rice, and soy.  A hearty thanks to all of you who
sent replies!

Several people highly recommended bread mixes from the company Breads from
Anna.  One responder wrote that her "8 year old celiac and non-celiac
husband will eat [the bread] out of the breadmaker."  See
http://www.glutenevolution.com/ for information.

Chebe Bread products do not contain gluten, corn, rice, or soy.  Mixes and
doughs are available at http://www.chebe.com/.

One person suggested using tapioca flour instead of cornstarch in recipes,
adding, "We grind tapioca in our Whispermill."

Twin Valley Mills' Web site, http://www.twinvalleymills.com/, has a recipe
for Sorghum Bread at its recipe link.  The recipe calls for cornstarch, but
the responder substitutes arrowroot.  She also recommended the CD "Cooking
with Sorghum 101' that is available on the site.

At http://pecanbread.com/, there is a recipe for bread that is completely
grain free.

A gluten/corn/rice/soy-free flour blend recipe is on Carol Fenster's site,
http://savorypalate.com.  Click on "Recipes" for the flour blend and the
recipe for Sandwich Bread that uses the blend.

There is a recipe for yeast bread and one for biscuits on the Web site
http://www.nowheat.com/text/nowheat/recipe/recipes.htm.  The person
submitting this said that she makes the bread dairy free also by
substituting milk powder with 1.5 times the amount of potato flakes.  She
wrote, "The bread I make keeps fresh and spongy for days."

Tom Van Deman has a recipe called "Celiac Light Bread" that uses cornstarch.
For those interested in a copy of this recipe, send a request to me, or
write directly to Mr. Van Deman at [log in to unmask]

Denise Cleveland has a recipe for sorghum bread which she graciously gave me
permission to include in my summary.  Another person wrote that she is
experimenting with fermenting beans and grains to make bread and Dosa, a
type of pancake or crepe.  Denise's bread recipe and the instructions for
using fermented beans and grains follow.
* * * * * * * * * * *
Denise's Sorghum Bread

6 eggs
1 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sorghum flour
1 3/4 cups potato starch
1 cups tapioca starch
3/4 cup almond meal
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup flaxseed meal (optional)
3 packets gelatin powder
1 1/2 tablespoon guar gum or xanthan gum
2 tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water, warmed

Put eggs in mixer bowl.  Whip until frothy.  (I use the wire attachment for
this.  Replace with regular beater before next step.)

Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl.

Add butter to eggs and begin to mix.

Add dry ingredients a bit at a time, alternating with water.  Hold back some
of the water to be sure the dough is not too wet.

The dough needs to be just barely pourable, but not runny like pancake
batter.  You may need more or less water depending on how dry your flours
are.

Pour into 20 greased hamburger/English muffin tins, or greased 2 loaf pans
(See notes.), or greased muffin pan.  Use oiled or greased hand to flatten
and even out the tops.  I like to use large cookie scoops to make rolls.

Let rise, covered with a light towel, for 30 minutes.  Do not let them
over-rise, or they lose their shape.

Bake buns for about 12-15 minutes at 400.  Remove from pan(s) shortly after
taking it out of the oven and allow to cool on wire rack.

NOTES : My family likes this best made as buns.  It is less crumbly that
way, but it also works okay in loaves.  I use hamburger pans purchased from
King Arthur flours.  I also use waxed paper inside loaf pans for easy
removal.

* * * * * * * * * * *
Heidi's Fermented Bean Bread and Dosa

     Soak beans or lentils and rice (but sorghum or whatever would work) for
a day or two.
     Run them through the blender.
     Add a little salt, and/or kefir ferment (I use kefir fermented fruit
juice, which has good bacteria in it, but you could use any starter culture,
or just let it ferment on its own)
     Let ferment a day or so.
     To make dosas (little flat pancakes like crepes), pour the thin batter
on a griddle.  It makes a nice robust crepe/tortilla.
     To make bread. add enough flour until the dough is basically like
toothpaste. How much of that varies.  Add a little sugar for the yeast,
since it's been fermenting a day.  Also try adding a little xanthan gum to
the flour.  I'm not sure if it's needed or not.

Additional notes:
     It's important to soak and ferment the beans; raw beans aren't good for
you.
     I'm not sure how this works, but the fermentation process seems to give
it more body so it's about like working with gluten dough. Only it tastes
amazingly good, and sets well in your stomach.
     Letting the bread "rise" for 2 days caused it to sour, and the
resulting sourdough was one of the most wonderful sourdoughs I've ever
eaten, just too heavy.
     It's a great concept: no dairy, eggs, yeast, and doesn't cost much or
take much time.