Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 12:51:10 -0500
Sender:
From:
Nicole Kohut <[log in to unmask]>

Thank you very much to everyone that responded.  I received so many
wonderful responses regarding England and Ireland that I am posting
summaries separately, although some information applies to both.  I
apologize that I did not have the opportunity to thank people for their
great insight individually but there were so many responses, and still some
that I am receiving.

It was recommended that I contact  www.coeliac.co.uk

Several supermarkets were mentioned as having a great selection of gluten
free items (look for the section in the store called 'free from'):

Tesco's
Sainsburys - gluten-free labeling including frozen ready dishes.
 http://www.sainsburys.co.uk;
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/food/specialdiets/default.htm?WT.svl=1&WT.seg_1=nav_primary
Marks and Spencer - allergy boxes
Holland & Barrett - stocks plenty of GF food including breads, cookies and
pasta.
Asda (Wal-Mart)
Morrisons

Restaurants:
It was suggested that awareness of celiac is very high that I should not
have a problem eating out if I call ahead expecially at the more expensive
restaurants.  In particular Indian restaurants were recommended.
Some restaurant chains label food or have lists of gluten-free items these
include:
La Tasca (tapas).
Ghillies on the River
De mario (Covent Garden)
Cafe Fish London Restaurant
Pret a Manger - list of GF items
http://www.wheat-free.org/wheat_gluten_free_eating_out.html - has restaurant
in UK and Dublin. And a lot of other good info.

Bed and Breakfasts in greater England with gluten-free items:

West Wharmley Farm (near Hadrian's Wall)
Hexham, Northumberland
NE46 2PL, England
Tel: 44 (0) 1434 674227
Proprietor: Mrs. Ros Johnson
http://www.visitbritain.com/     Click "Accommodation" and enter West
Wharmley Farm in the blank labeled "Enter the accommodation name (optional)"

 Myrtle House (in the Cotswolds, near Chipping Campden)
High Street
Mickleton, Gloucestershire
GL55 6SA, England
Tel 44 (0) 1386 430032
Proprietor: Kate
http://www.myrtlehouse.co.uk/

Some Additional Advice:

Article in the *Alamo Celiac* newsletter September 2005.  Be sure to see the
last paragraph on page 3 for Web site addresses for United Kingdom grocery
store chains that carry GF items.  at
http://alamoceliac.org/actipsforceliacs.html (2 articles, "Travel in the
United Kingdom" and "Quick Tips for Foreign Travel.")

glutenfreedirectory.org.uk
Website that has a map of UK, when you click on areas listing of restaurants
and hotels that cater to GF comes up, doesn't currently work properly on my
computer.